The John Deere D100 Series and ZTrak™ mowers are commonly used to manicure lawns and leave behind a picturesque final product. However, for a tractor or mower to last a long time, it’s critical to perform regular maintenance, which includes oil changes.
Here are some John Deere oil change tips for D100 and ZTrak Zero Turn mowers.
How to Change the Oil on a D100 Lawn Tractor or ZTrak Mower
- Start by running the engine for a minute or two. This will warm up the oil so it will drain easier.
- Park the mower safely on a hard and flat surface with the engine shut off, parking brake set, and key removed.
- Place a drain pan underneath the engine’s oil plug and start draining the oil. Be careful when completing this step as the oil has a tendency to be very hot.
- Loosen the dipstick to increase oil flow as necessary.
- After a few minutes, the oil should be drained out of the engine.
- Close the drain plug and move the drain pan underneath the oil filter.
- Turning counterclockwise, remove the oil filter. Use a wrench if the filter is too tight to loosen by hand.
- Drain the oil out of the filter and dispose of it properly.
- Use a clean shop towel to remove dirt or old oil from the oil filter area.
- Place a few drops of clean oil onto the rubber gasket of the new oil filter and then spin the filter onto the engine. Turn until you feel the gasket contact the engine.
- Then, tighten the filter a half turn by hand.
- You can now add the new oil to the engine.
- Before checking the oil level, secure the dipstick and oil fill cap and run the engine briefly to pump oil into the new filter.
- Be sure to check for leaks around the drain plug and oil filter.
- Check the oil level. Remember to never over fill.
Oil should be checked before each use and changed at least once a year. This number will be higher if the tractor is frequently used to mow in dusty conditions.
Proper machine maintenance, including oil changes, is the best way to ensure your equipment starts quickly, runs efficiently, and leaves behind a beautifully mown lawn. Contact your local John Deere dealer or visit this page for more information about changing the oil on your equipment or other machine maintenance questions you may have.